It’s been half a year since the day I pledged to go shampoo free and embrace the crazy idea to no longer wash my hair. It almost doesn’t feel like it has been that long but when I looked back at my posts, I realized it’s been a red hot minute!
So how is my hair doing 6 months later on the no-poo challenge? The pluses are :
1. Feels and looks thicker, stronger, and stays cleaner longer. Looks even better now that I finally got a haircut.
2. I wash 1-2 times a week and that’s it!
3. Ironically my hair never looks oily, dirty, and never carries an odor.
4. Always feels soft and strong.
5. Ditch the shampoo &conditioner means money saved on haircare & all those crazy chemicals don’t get to touch my hair!
The negatives are :
1. The transition time which varies from person to person and is the reason why, I think, people either don’t try it or can’t get past the awkward stage.
2. Washing takes a little longer because I need to make sure the baking soda is completely out of my hair before I apply the apple cider vinegar.
3. The apple cider vinegar smell. I’ve gotten used to it but you really only smell if for the duration of the rinse and a little while your hair is still damp
4. The front of my hair is still frizzy and has only gotten a little better in that it doesn’t feel crispy. But maybe it will improve with more time.
This experience had led me to believe that you don’t need shampoo or conditioner. In fact, I only wash my children’s hair once a week. I still use commercial baby shampoo for their hair because of the no-tears benefit but plan on making the switch for them when they’re a little older and I can safely wash their hair without them freaking out that router hair is wet.
Do you no-poo? Interested in ditching the shampoo/conditioner combo punch or just want to read more of my experience? Subscribe to get more updates and see what we’re doing next at D.I.Y.erfy where we test the projects you want to try and give you tips, tricks, and our take on all those do-it-yourself projects toy see all over the web. Have a suggestion? Email us. PS we love comments too!